Skip to main content

Gloving in Blandford

Although Blandford is known today for brewing and for button making in the past, gloving has also been an important industry in the town. Gloving dates back to at least the early 1700s as glover, John Creech is recorded as suffering great financial loss due to the Great Fire of Blandford in 1731. Robert & Edward Fisher in the Market Place, John Homer & Henry Edmunds in East Street and Thomas Bennett in Salisbury Street were all involved in the glove making business. The Will of John Homer, glover of Blandford Forum can be found in the National Archives.

It is reckoned in 1851 there were some 1,700 people in Dorset described as glovers. The trade employed a significant number of outworkers with many living in the villages around Blandford. This enabled women to supplement their husband’s low agricultural wage while remaining at home to look after children. This system also made economic sense as the sale of gloves was highly seasonal business much dependant on the weather. Wool was delivered to the outworkers in their homes and the finished articles were later collected. At the time of World War II, the rate of pay for a pair of glove was just around nine old pence (4p) per pair. One of the last of these agents was Edgar Harvey of West Street who would often pay his outworkers in kind, usually in the form of clothing.

In the first half of the twentieth century, despite increasing overseas competition, there were two glove making workshops in East Street and another in White Cliff Mill Street at Eagle House. This belonged to Ensor & Southcombe of Yeovil and Milborne Port amd continued to trade well into the 1950s. A common local product was a yellow string riding glove known as the Ringwood glove.

Former Blandford Town Clerk, Charles Lavington remembered Leo Jay’s glove making workshop in Oakfield Street set up after World War II. This  was located adjacent to his confectionary shop. Jay  employed a band of local ladies who produced hand knitted gloves with Reg Pike as the foreman. These gloves were sold in some of London’s major shops and were particularly used and prized by the hunting fraternity. Production continued in Oakfield Street until the early to mid 1960s.

(Illustrations: Ringwood Glove and L Jay's gloving workshop.)



Comments

  1. jack hutchings12 June 2026 at 14:03

    Can remember the Oakfield St Glove factory as some of the ladies who used to catch Amey's mini bus service to Stickland worked there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Panda Pops

Panda  Blue Rasperry Ade, Strawberry Jelly & Ice Cream and Casper Ghostly Limeade were all unique soft drink flavours produced by the Panda Pops brand owned by Badger Beers. Panda Pops were often sold in small bottles of fizzy drink that were as sweet and sticky as it was as possible for them to be. Other popular Panda Pop flavours were Cherry Ade and Bright Green Cola. Even more singular blends could be concocted by mixing two or more flavours in a Panda Pops mixing bowl. Panda Cola achieved a sort of cult status and there is even a song, ‘ Warm Panda Cola’ . While among Panda aficionados there was even the spoof blend of Princess Diana Memorial flavour! The Blandford drink competed remarkably well against American giants Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola. Panda Pops date back to the 1960s when the Blandford brewer dropped the name of Sunparlor for its soft drink brands. Sunparlor had also been the name of a winning race horse owned by a member of the Woodhouse family. Cream soda was...

Greyhound Inn

In the 1700s, the Greyhound Inn was one of the three great coaching inns of Blandford and was both stylish and substantial. The other two great inns were the Crown and the Red Lion. In fact, the Greyhound dates back to the early 1600s. This inn was a regular stopping point for horse drawn coaches travelling between London and the West of England. The Greyhound was destroyed in the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford. It was then rebuilt with an impressive Market Place facing frontage together with sizeable back buildings which included stables, a tap room, workshops and a brewery. The front part covered 3,150 sq ft and the back buildings a further 3,100 sq ft. In 1779, the Inn was advertising it had an excellent and much used billiard table. On Bonfire Night in 1805, the Greyhound Inn was one of the many stopping points to change his horses for Lieutenant John Richards Lapenotiere of the Royal Navy. He was taking the news of victory at the Battle of Trafalgar and of Horatio Nelson’s death to ...

History Slice with an Aussie Flavour.

  From Dorset Gallows to Van Diemen’s Land is the unlikely but true story of political corruption, hangings and transportation in the small market town of Blandford in Southern England.  It is available as a paperback from  Amazon in the United Kingdom, Australia and the USA. The book uncovers the extraordinary tale of two ordinary men, George Long a shoemaker and Richard Bleathman a butcher. Driven by belief and dissatisfaction they are swept along by events. Sentenced to be hanged in Dorchester Gaol for their protests against political corruption they are instead, following clemency appeals,  transported to Van Diemen’s Land -  on the other side of the world. ‘A fascinatingly  good read.  This book entirely complements the story of the Tolpuddle Martyrs - also transported to Australia.’ (Richard Holledge, newspaper editor, freelance journalist - London. As read in the Independent, New York Times & Financial Times. Author of   Voices of the M...