Skip to main content

Dorset Breweries Lost



Some breweries are cherishingly remembered while others are now forgotten:

Eldridge Pope of Dorchester. Founded in 1837 by Charles and Sarah Eldridge, a new brewery was built near the railway line in 1880. Edwin Pope had joined in 1870 and was followed by his brother Alfred. The Huntsman  trademark (featured) was shared with Leeds based brewer, Joshua Tetley. Thomas Hardy Ale, a strong barley wine, was one their most famous beers. Eldridge Pope closed in 2003 and the site was sold to a property company.

Bournemouth Brewery was founded at 117 Holdenhurst Road in 1858 in association with Heath Poult Inn.  One of its owners was a Mrs Hilda G  Ogden. The brewery was bought by Strong of Romsey in 1925 and survived just as a depot until 1973 when the site was redeveloped.

Devenish of Weymouth. Originally the Flew Brewery, it was bought by William Devenish in 1824. In 1931,  Major J Devenish’s home was burgled but the stolen silver was discovered the next day by schoolboy Len Jester. The Hope Square  brewery was badly  damaged in an air raid during World War II and two local competitors stepped in to help with production. Brewing ceased in 1985.

Dolphin Brewery of Poole. It was established in 1745 in a shed next to the Dolphin Inn. With Poole being a port and with strong links to the Newfoundland fishing trade, there was a healthy demand for its beers. By 1870, under John Marston, the brewery had acquired 70 pubs. Dolphin Brewery of Poole was bought by Strong and Co of Romsey and closed in 1928.

Matthews & Co of Gillingham. Dates from around 1850 when the Matthews family began brewing. They had pubs in North Dorset, Somerset and in South Wiltshire. The Matthew’s trade mark was a charging buffalo. The business was acquired by Hall & Woodhouse in 1963.

John Groves & Sons of Weymouth. Founded in 1840, the Hope Brewery was rebuilt in 1904. Owner Sir John Groves was Weymouth’s mayor and at Christmas would donate coal to the town’s poor. Acquired by Devenish & Co in 1960 together with their 115 pubs. 

J L Marsh & Sons of Blandford. Based in White Cliff Mill Street, owner John Lewis Marsh was a master of publicity. Tongue in cheek, he claimed drinking his beer was the key to everlasting life. Acquired by Reading brewers, H G Symonds in 1939.

Sherborne Brewery was founded in 1796 but by 1887 had been renamed the Dorsetshire Brewery. They were taken over by Yeovil’s Britton, Mitchell & Toms in 1951.

Crown Brewery in Fontmell Magna was founded in 1780 and in 1889 Shroton Brewery was acquired. Crown Brewery ceased brewing in 1904 when their 19 pubs were sold to eight different brewers.

(Credit: Brewing in Dorset [2016] by Tim Edgell & Mike Bone.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panda Pops

Panda  Blue Rasperry Ade, Strawberry Jelly & Ice Cream and Casper Ghostly Limeade were all unique soft drink flavours produced by the Panda Pops brand owned by Badger Beers. Panda Pops were often sold in small bottles of fizzy drink that were as sweet and sticky as it was as possible for them to be. Other popular Panda Pop flavours were Cherry Ade and Bright Green Cola. Even more singular blends could be concocted by mixing two or more flavours in a Panda Pops mixing bowl. Panda Cola achieved a sort of cult status and there is even a song, ‘ Warm Panda Cola’ . While among Panda aficionados there was even the spoof blend of Princess Diana Memorial flavour! The Blandford drink competed remarkably well against American giants Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola. Panda Pops date back to the 1960s when the Blandford brewer dropped the name of Sunparlor for its soft drink brands. Sunparlor had also been the name of a winning race horse owned by a member of the Woodhouse family. Cream soda was...

Greyhound Inn

In the 1700s, the Greyhound Inn was one of the three great coaching inns of Blandford and was both stylish and substantial. The other two great inns were the Crown and the Red Lion. In fact, the Greyhound dates back to the early 1600s. This inn was a regular stopping point for horse drawn coaches travelling between London and the West of England. The Greyhound was destroyed in the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford. It was then rebuilt with an impressive Market Place facing frontage together with sizeable back buildings which included stables, a tap room, workshops and a brewery. The front part covered 3,150 sq ft and the back buildings a further 3,100 sq ft. In 1779, the Inn was advertising it had an excellent and much used billiard table. On Bonfire Night in 1805, the Greyhound Inn was one of the many stopping points to change his horses for Lieutenant John Richards Lapenotiere of the Royal Navy. He was taking the news of victory at the Battle of Trafalgar and of Horatio Nelson’s death to ...

History Slice with an Aussie Flavour.

  From Dorset Gallows to Van Diemen’s Land is the unlikely but true story of political corruption, hangings and transportation in the small market town of Blandford in Southern England.  It is available as a paperback from  Amazon in the United Kingdom, Australia and the USA. The book uncovers the extraordinary tale of two ordinary men, George Long a shoemaker and Richard Bleathman a butcher. Driven by belief and dissatisfaction they are swept along by events. Sentenced to be hanged in Dorchester Gaol for their protests against political corruption they are instead, following clemency appeals,  transported to Van Diemen’s Land -  on the other side of the world. ‘A fascinatingly  good read.  This book entirely complements the story of the Tolpuddle Martyrs - also transported to Australia.’ (Richard Holledge, newspaper editor, freelance journalist - London. As read in the Independent, New York Times & Financial Times. Author of   Voices of the M...