Skip to main content

Dorset Strange Place Names

Dorset has some unusual and strange place names. There’s Pug’s Hole, Sweet Apple Farm & Custard Hill. Names include:

Barbers Piles – Poole. It was bombed by the Germans during World War II

Brandy Bay – Isle of Purbeck, where smugglers brought their illicit barrels ashore during 17th & 18th centuries.

Clapgate – near Wimborne.

Doghouse Lane – Chideock.

Dungy Head – near West Lulworth.

Goathorn Close – Poole.

Glue Hill – Sturminster Newton. Apparently, there is a sign urging pedestrians to 'stick to the pavement!’

God’s Blessing Lane – Colehill. Apparently so called, because Oliver Cromwell’s soldiers were blessed there prior to assaulting Corfe Castle.

Hell Bottom – West Dorset.

Knacker’s Hole – near Okeford Fitzpaine.

Knights in the Bottom – near Chickerell.

Labour-in-Vain – near East Bexington.

Minterne Magna – while Magna is Latin for ‘large’, Minterne means ‘house where mint grows.

Mutton Street Lane – Marshwood.

Old Harry – sea stack near Studland. Old Harry was another name for the devil. Until the 1890s, there was another sea stack called ‘Old Harry’s wife.

Pug’s Hole – Bournemouth.

Pulham Down – near Sherborne.

Red Bottom – Burton Bradstock. Legend has it that the good folk of Burton Bradstock overcame some Danish invaders here around the year, 1002. Here allegedly there is a dip which ‘ran deep with Danish blood.’

Ryme Intrinseca – south of Yeovil.

Scratch Arse Ware & Dancing Ledge – despite its name, this is a stunning area in Purbeck and popular with walkers.

Shitterton – near Bere Regis, means a ‘stream once used as a sewer.

Sweet Apple Farm & Custard Hill – a delightfully sweet Gussage All Saints combination.

Winterborne Came – while the county has many Winterbornes, Came is a corruption of ‘Caen’. It once belonged to St Stephen of Caen in Normandy.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True Lovers Knot - a Tragic Tale

True Lovers Knot public house describes itself as a traditional  inn set in a picturesque Dorset valley in Tarrant Keynston. Yet, this historical hostelry is said to have gained its name from a particularly tragic tale and still to be haunted by a distressed former publican. This publican’s son met and fell in love with the daughter of the local squire. Because the young lad was not from the gentry they decided to keep their relationship secret from her father. Unfortunately, a stable hand saw the two young lovers together and told her father. Set firmly against this friendship the squire made plans to send his daughter away from the district. Not able to face up to life without her boyfriend, the young girl decided to commit suicide and hanged herself from a tree in the village. So upset was the publican’s son of hearing of his girlfriend’s death he too hanged himself from the same tree. The Tarrant Keynston publican had, himself lost his wife at child birth and now losing his son b

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the