Skip to main content

Ken Baily

Ken Baily was the England football and rugby cheerleader for three decades and Bournemouth Football Club mascot from the 1950s.

An eccentric character and lifelong bachelor, he had a love of trifle and in his spare time could be seen riding his bicycle around the town dressed as either Winston Churchill or the Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie. As a cheerleader, he was recognisable in his trademark costume of Union Jack waistcoat, scarlet tails, white gloves and top hat. When meeting royalty, Prince Charles is said to have once remarked ‘where did you escape from?’ He is also the only man to become both a Freeman of Bournemouth and a Subbuteo figure.

Ken Baily was a keen runner and swimmer and maintained his fitness by regular sea bathing. This included regular dips in the Bournemouth briny on Christmas Day and on New Year’s Eve. He worked as a clerical assistant in a Bournemouth telephone exchange and also wrote a gossip column for a local newspaper using the pen name Genevieve. He was able to finance his cheerleader travelling after the receipt of an inheritance. In 1937, he had run from Bournemouth to Paris in 36 hours. Baily ran the 32 miles to Southampton where he boarded an ocean liner for Cherbourg. Throughout the crossing, he kept running around the deck. Then he ran the 213 miles onto Paris. Asked why he had done this, he replied ‘just to prove it could be done.

In 1939, he ran non-stop across the Atlantic Ocean on the deck of the SS Bremen as a member of a four man team. They carried a message to US President Roosevelt requesting his support should war break out between Britain and Germany. In 1948, he was one of the torchbearers at the London Olympics. Ken Baily would regularly join up with carnival processions across Dorset and one year he dressed up as a Rubik’s cube.

In 1982, he tried to cover up the ample cleavage of streaker, Erica Roe with a union jack when she ran topless across the Twickenham rugby pitch. He was an ardent royalist and would follow the queen around the country to be present at formal engagements. In support of the England football team, it is reckoned he travelled almost 200,000 miles and visited 40 countries.

Ken Henry Baily was born in Burnham on Sea in Somerset on the 8th August 1911 and died in a Bournemouth nursing home on the 10th December 1993.

(Illustration: Ken Baily  & Erica Roe at Twickenham in 1982.)



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the