In 1887, combative Blandford Express newspaper man, James Bartlett was in court after claiming that school mistress, Elizabeth Cumming had damaged school property before leaving for another job in London. He lost the case and had to pay forty pounds in damages together with costs.
Trains on the Somerset & Dorset railway line were held up by heavy snow falls and men had to go in front of the engines to clear the snow.
In 1888, the Cottage Hospital moved to its current location.
In 1890, Chamen & Richards wine merchants offered twenty one shilling (£1.05) Christmas hampers for sale consisting of two bottles of ‘good wine’ and a selection of five bottles of ‘good spirits’ namely from port, sherry, brandy, rum, gin, and Irish & Scotch whisky.
In 1891, surgeon dentist Mr C Morgan, who worked in the Market Place, charged two shillings & sixpence (12.5p) for a ‘painless’ tooth extraction and one shilling (5p) for a child’s ‘temporary tooth’. Rail fares were reimbursed for those that had travelled some distance.
In the Great March Blizzard, the town was completely cut off and there were snow drifts up to ten feet deep. There was no post and the railway stopped.
In 1892, Blandford grocer and founder of the town’s first museum, Henry Durden died. Upon his death his collection of over 2,000 artefacts was sold to the British Museum. His son, John continued to run the family’s grocery business.
Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, passed through Blandford station on his way to a hunting visit to Crichel. During his three day stay 3,300 head of game was shot.
In 1893, Blandford Waterworks Company was formed to supply the town with clean piped water.
In 1894, a plan was announced to build a railway line from Salisbury via Sixpenny Handley and Pimperne to Blandford. To be called the Wiltshire, Dorset & East Devon Line it would journey on to Dorchester, Bridport, Lyme Regis & Exeter. No doubt due to opposition from large companies such as the Great Western Railway, it was never built.
In 1895, controversial local land owner, politician and dog lover Henry Richard Farquarson died. He had a pack of 125 Newfoundland dogs which he had built up over 25 years. Sadly many died in a savage dog fight.
In 1898, when Durweston brewer Henry Godwin retired he sold his business to brewers, Hall & Woodhouse.
Post a Comment