Skip to main content

Blandford Throwback Facts XIV

 

     

In 1863, Blandford railway station opened on 21st September when a line that previously ended in Blandford St Mary was brought into the town.

Led by the owner of the Crown Hotel, Robert Eyers the Blandford Town Band won the National Brass Band Championship held at the Crystal Palace. There were four Hunt brothers in the Band. On returning to Blandford, they were met by the Rifle Volunteers and marched around the town amidst cheering crowds.

After the railway station was opened, seven new inns were built in the town.

Reverend William Barnes lectured on Dorset dialect to the Blandford Literacy & Scientific Institution.

In 1864, music hall star in the USA and Britain, Samuel Cowell died in his East Street lodgings and was buried in Blandford Cemetery. He had twice performed before Queen Victoria at Windsor and also before the US President yet died a bankrupt. A charity concert was organised to raise money to pay for his gravestone. A horse drawn coach from the Crown Hotel met every train arriving at Blandford railway station.

In 1865, Mary Ann Smith was matron of the County of Dorset Female Penitentiary located at 77 Salisbury Street.

In 1868, workhouse master, Robert Morgan resigned after he was charged with drunkenness, false accounting and stock deficiencies.

In 1870, Charles Bennett was born in Shapwick. Known as the ‘Shapwick Express', the railway worker was the first British track and field athlete to win an Olympic medal. Chief Medical Officer reported 60 wells in the town had undrinkable water.

In 1871, local newspaper, the Blandford Express Christmas edition cost one penny. It had advertisements for Holloway’s ointment, a professed cure for all ailments, Borwick’s Baking Powder, ideal for pies & puddings, and Peruvian bird droppings fertiliser. Parish of Blandford had a population of 3,900 accommodated in 731 houses.

In 1873, early trade union leader, Joseph Arch spoke at a meeting of the National Agricultural Labourers’ Union held in the Corn Exchange.

            A train travelling at 50m.p.h. approaching Stourpaine, hit some heifers that had wandered onto the line because of a broken fence. One of the heifers was cut to pieces while a second was knocked sideways by the locomotive  Blandford Church bells were rung to celebrate local landowner, Lord Portman being made a Viscount by Queen Victoria.

               (Illustration: Entertainer Sam Cowell)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha