Skip to main content

Blandford Races

It might not have been Ascot, Epsom or Aintree but Blandford Races was once quite an important event in the county’s social calendar. Blandford Races date back to 1603 and were held on the downs which today would be part of Blandford Camp. Meetings continued until the middle of the 19th century with few breaks in between. The longest interruption was when Oliver Cromwell was Head of State and Government. As Lord Protector he was not amused by such events.

Apart from horse racing, there were other entertainments. These included wrestling matches, cock fighting and dancing. Much feasting took place which was highly lucrative for the town. In 1780, cudgel playing was advertised and resulted in a Shaftebury man losing his left eye. This was then replaced by a sword and dagger contest between the gentlemen of Dorset and Somerset.

One of the race patrons was Lord Palmerston who was later to be Prime Minister. In 1824, he had had a winner, Luzborough in the Dorsetshire Gold Cup. Normally held in July or August, gentry and nobility travelled many miles to attend. 

Principal races included the Dorsetshire Gold Cup, the Blandford Member’s Plate and the Langton Stakes. Arguably, 1827 saw the Blandford Race Meeting at its peak. That year, Mr Bankes was Steward of the Course arriving in a party consisting of eleven carriages hauled by 44 horses. With coachmen and footmen in their finest livery it would have been a splendid sight. This bettered the nine different carriages the Earl of Shaftesbury had used in 1802. In 1827, the Duke of Wellington attended the race meeting and the meeting’s ball. This was attended by the families of the rich and famous in the county. As the victor over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo, the Duke was greeted with hearty cheers as he rode around the course. That evening he attended a meeting supper which was described as ‘the most splendid and delightful that has ever distinguished Blandford Races.’

Thereafter, matters seemed to go downhill due to mismanagement. There were frequent disagreements as to in which month the meeting should take place. Mistakes included horses taking the wrong direction, races being declared void and a shortage of runners. The final meeting took place at Blandford Racecourse in August 1844. It has also been suggested that the meeting become run by a small, well-off clique who organised meetings to their own benefit.



(Image: Dorsetshire Gold Cup won by Moonlight on 8 August 1815.)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as