Skip to main content

Mischievous MP & a Boozy Barber

Francis Fane was the silent but rather mischievous Dorset MP who loved a joke and can  also be regarded as the founder of the village of Spetisbury. Francis Fane was born in the village in 1750 and served as the Member of Parliament for Dorchester from 1790-1807. In line with his taciturn reputation, there is only one record of him speaking in Parliament where he raised just a single question.

One day Frances Fane was travelling up to London sitting comfortably inside a horse drawn mail coach when sitting above, in the open, was a barber from Dorchester. The latter’s heavily laden coat pocket hung temptingly over the MP’s open coach window. Francis could not resist slitting the inviting pocket and salvaging its contents which turned out to be a large bundle of bank notes. These had been entrusted to the barber to deliver safely to London. When the Dorchester hairdresser realised his loss he was in a state of apoplexy and extreme desperation. The mischievous MP then produced the banknotes and by way of recompense offered to treat the unfortunate crimper to a splendid meal at the White Horse Cellar hostelry in London’s Piccadilly.

This ‘grande bouffe’ was arranged for the afternoon of the barber’s scheduled return to Dorset. In its heyday, the White Horse Cellar was one of the best known coaching inns in England. It was the starting point for many westbound mail coaches and was renowned for its huge, juicy beef steaks and extensive wine cellar. During the splendid feast, the Dorchester barber was plied with and enjoyed much liquor so much so that Francis Fane had to help the sozzled inebriate up onto the Dorchester bound mail coach. However, when the hung over traveller finally arrived in Dorchester he could not find the town water pump next to which was his hairdresser premises. This was because the mischievous Spetisbury born MP had placed his unfortunate former travelling companion on the mail coach to Dorchester in Oxfordshire rather than Dorchester in Dorset.

Francis Fane lived at Spetisbury House and can be regarded as the founder of the village of Spetisbury. The place name has Anglo-Saxon origins meaning 'the ancient earthwork frequented by the green woodpecker.' The village is an amalgamation of three separate manors and it was Francis Fane who brought these manors together under a single ownership.

Francis Fane died in November 1813.

Illustration: White Horse Cellar, Piccadilly, London.

(Source: Western Gazette December 21st 1900)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Lovers Knot - a Tragic Tale

True Lovers Knot public house describes itself as a traditional  inn set in a picturesque Dorset valley in Tarrant Keynston. Yet, this historical hostelry is said to have gained its name from a particularly tragic tale and still to be haunted by a distressed former publican. This publican’s son met and fell in love with the daughter of the local squire. Because the young lad was not from the gentry they decided to keep their relationship secret from her father. Unfortunately, a stable hand saw the two young lovers together and told her father. Set firmly against this friendship the squire made plans to send his daughter away from the district. Not able to face up to life without her boyfriend, the young girl decided to commit suicide and hanged herself from a tree in the village. So upset was the publican’s son of hearing of his girlfriend’s death he too hanged himself from the same tree. The Tarrant Keynston publican had, himself lost his wife at child birth and now losing his son b

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the