Skip to main content

Rise & Fall of Blandford Races

Blandford Racecourse was at one time almost as famous as Aintree or Epsom. A race meeting was held annually, normally for two days, on Blandford Downs - where Blandford Camp is today.

Dating back to at least 1603 while Aintree is associated with Red Rum, Blandford Racecourse was renowned for a horse named Arctic. Run over two miles, this meeting’s most prestigious race was the Dorsetshire Gold Cup. Arctic took the Cup in 1838 and in four successive years from 1841. During this time, Arctic had several different owners including Lord Shaftesbury, Sidney Herbert MP – an ally of Florence Nightingale – and Mr Galpin who kept horses at stables in Langton Long. Among Arctic’s successful jockeys was C Percy from a Pimperne horse training family. According to Victoria History of Dorset (1908):

‘It would be impossible to find a healthier spot for horses or a more perfect training ground than this on the old Blandford Racing Course with distances to suit preparation for all races…’

Blandford Races were at their peak in 1827 when the principal meeting guest was the defeater of Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Waterloo, and twice to serve as Prime Minister, the Duke of Wellington. Another future Prime Minister, Lord Palmerston was an attendee as were most of the county’s gentry such as the Portmans, the Welds, the Bankes, the Farquarsons and Lord Shaftesbury. As today on Epsom Downs race days, there were many entertainments on Blandford Downs and in the town. There were gambling booths, dinners in the Crown Hotel, Assembly Rooms & Greyhound Inn, theatrical performances and cock fighting in a West Street inn, later renamed the Crown & Anchor. Cudgel playing was a popular ‘sport’ which involved two contestants hitting each other with heavy sticks. The contestant who drew blood first was the winner. Injuries were horrendous and included a Shaftesbury man losing the sight of an eye. Another cudgel playing confrontation, just outside the Crown Hotel, attracted a crowd of more than 200. There was also the equally dangerous and unpleasant game of ‘kick shins’ - a sport that is self-explanatory! Scars from both sports were shown off with great pride.

After the 1827 meeting, Blandford Races slowly went downhill principally due a shortage of entrants and a gentry management that operated rather like a cartel. In 1843, Arctic won the Dorset Stakes but was the sole entrant. The event had fallen into the hands of a small group of wealthy individuals who were able to influence the results. Sidney Herbert and Lord George Bentinck became involved in a legal case where a single horse entrant had been awarded the prize. They argued that the race had not been properly advertised and therefore should be declared null and void. Last meeting of Blandford Races took place in August 1844 and appropriately the winner of the last Dorsetshire Gold Cup was Arctic. There were subsequent attempts to revive the event but none proved to be successful.

The Western Flying Post of June 29th 1844 wrote:

‘The old County Races at Blandford are almost obsolete, serving only as a sort of nucleus to keep up its staff of functionaries.’

Weather on the last day was fine but the people attending ‘met with considerable disappointment the sport being very indifferent.’ In contrast, the Race Ball was ‘numerously and fashionably attended and dancing was kept up with much spirit to a late hour.’

If Blandford Race Course had been better managed would Blandford Downs today be known for horse racing rather than as a military base?

(Source: British Newspaper Archive & Greyhoundderby.com)

Image: Blandford Racecourse's Arctic & Dorsetshire Gold Cup.








Comments

  1. Oh, wow! Great story - never knew this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True Lovers Knot - a Tragic Tale

True Lovers Knot public house describes itself as a traditional  inn set in a picturesque Dorset valley in Tarrant Keynston. Yet, this historical hostelry is said to have gained its name from a particularly tragic tale and still to be haunted by a distressed former publican. This publican’s son met and fell in love with the daughter of the local squire. Because the young lad was not from the gentry they decided to keep their relationship secret from her father. Unfortunately, a stable hand saw the two young lovers together and told her father. Set firmly against this friendship the squire made plans to send his daughter away from the district. Not able to face up to life without her boyfriend, the young girl decided to commit suicide and hanged herself from a tree in the village. So upset was the publican’s son of hearing of his girlfriend’s death he too hanged himself from the same tree. The Tarrant Keynston publican had, himself lost his wife at child birth and now losing his son b

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the