Skip to main content

Salty Doggie Tale


Lassie and Bruce were two canine heroes from the First World War. Their touching but sad story concerns one of the greatest of ever local maritime tragedies.

Lassie was a rough-haired collie who saved the life of Scottish seaman, John Cowan. The Able Seaman had come ashore with a boatload of survivors at Lyme Regis from the Royal Navy’s HMS Formidable. This 16,000 ton but obsolete battleship had been torpedoed in the English Channel by German submarine U24 during the early hours of New Year’s Day 1915. It had sunk some 30 miles off Portland Bill. As the weather was bad, it was wrongly assumed a submarine attack was unlikely. HMS Formidable had been engaged in gun practice.

Given up for dead, John was laid out with six others on the beer cellar floor of the Pilot Boat Inn which publican, Tom Atkins had agreed could become a makeshift mortuary. As all the Scot was wearing were a pair of thin pants and a vest, it was reasonably assumed he had not survived his 22 hour experience. Others of his shipmates, much better clothed, had succumbed following their exhaustive exposure to the elements. Many of the battleship’s crew had been asleep below decks when the U-boat had struck. There was neither food nor water on their small boat and they had had to keep baling the water out with their boots to stay afloat. The winter wind and sleet were pitiless.

Clearly the collie thought differently about the young Scottish sailor as whining piteously, Lassie lay down beside the sailor and started to lick his face. The dog had learnt to do this to the publican’s wife which had helped her recovery from epileptic attacks. Warmth from Lassie’s body, together with the face licking, began to revive John Cowan’s circulation. Despite being rebuked and called away Lassie persisted. Slowly, the sailor started to make an eventual complete recovery. Lassie was awarded a silver collar and a medal.

Hit by two German torpedoes, with strong winds and 30 feet high waves, the Formidable had sunk in less than two hours. Standing on the battleship’s bridge, commanding officer Captain Arthur Noel Loxley had gone down with the ship. Alongside his master and refusing to leave him was his loyal Airedale terrier, Bruce. The dog belonged to the captain’s son, Peter who had given Bruce to his father as ‘a little living bit of home’ upon his appointment to the vessel. Loxley was last seen by a crew member on the bridge smoking a cigarette calmly overseeing the ship’s evacuation. Bruce’s body was later washed ashore on Chesil Beach and was buried in a marked grave in Abbotsbury Gardens.

Out of a 780 crew, 547 sailors from the Formidable were reckoned to have lost their lives. Among the crew was around 100 youths and boys. Sometime later, a lifebelt from the battleship was washed ashore on the Dutch coast many miles from the site of the vessel’s wreck. The nation was greatly shocked that the vessel, which lies upside down on the sea bed, had been sunk in home waters with so great a loss of life.

At the time, Lassie’s exploits made the national newspapers and post cards of the dog were put on sale to raise funds for the families of seamen. Some reckon that Lyme Regis Lassie was the inspiration for Hollywood’s Lassie who later appeared in various films and a television series. While because of the endearing loyalty shown to Captain Arthur Noel Loxley, Bruce became equally famous. This included making the January 1915 front page of the Sketch magazine. Later that year the book Captain Loxley’s Little Dog was published.

(Illustrations: Able Seaman John Cowan and Lassie above &  Captain Loxley with Bruce below.)


  1. HMS Formidable is mentioned in this BBC programme at 6:40


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True Lovers Knot - a Tragic Tale

True Lovers Knot public house describes itself as a traditional  inn set in a picturesque Dorset valley in Tarrant Keynston. Yet, this historical hostelry is said to have gained its name from a particularly tragic tale and still to be haunted by a distressed former publican. This publican’s son met and fell in love with the daughter of the local squire. Because the young lad was not from the gentry they decided to keep their relationship secret from her father. Unfortunately, a stable hand saw the two young lovers together and told her father. Set firmly against this friendship the squire made plans to send his daughter away from the district. Not able to face up to life without her boyfriend, the young girl decided to commit suicide and hanged herself from a tree in the village. So upset was the publican’s son of hearing of his girlfriend’s death he too hanged himself from the same tree. The Tarrant Keynston publican had, himself lost his wife at child birth and now losing his son b

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw