Skip to main content

Blandford Throwback Facts XIX


In 1911, Blandford Poor House had 76 inmates. Three ladies spoke in the Market Place in favour of giving women the vote. Several drunken men in the crowd pelted them with rotten fruit. They were escorted back to the station for their safety by members of the adult school. The police, it was reported, did nothing to help.

In 1912, Mounted Cavalry of the Dorset Imperial Yeomanry held an exercise at Blandford. The town was covered by four feet of snow.

            In 1913, sixty sheep were killed when they were struck by lightning at Thornicombe. A metallic shepherd’s crook was blamed for the accident. During the thunderstorm, two houses were struck by lightning in Queens Road and a flag pole on the Recreation Ground was destroyed.

In 1914, a military camp was built on Blandford Down, to accommodate the arrival of the Royal Naval Division. The Division consisted of sailors being trained to be soldiers. It had been set up by Winston Churchill because too many volunteers had applied to join the Royal Navy.  Sub-lieutenant Rupert Brooke was stationed at Blandford Camp. It is believed he wrote some of his best known sonnets there. He would die on the way to taking part in the Gallipoli Campaign.  Robert Locock, the town’s last surviving veteran of the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny died at the age of 78. The funeral party included members of the Royal Naval Division, now stationed at Blandford Camp, the 4th Dorset Regiment and the Blandford Lads’ Rifle Brigade.

In 1915, Winston Churchill dined at the Crown Hotel after inspecting the Royal Naval Division at Blandford Camp. Soon after, he returned to Blandford Camp with King George V arriving and departing from the town at Blandford Station.   Band of the 3rd Dorset Regiment played selections of music in the Market Place and on the Recreation Ground while recruiting sergeants were busy looking for young men not wearing military uniforms.   A cricket match took place between Blandford and the Royal Naval Division’s 2nd Reserve Battalion on the Recreation Ground. Tea was provided by a ‘bevy of ladies’ and the game continued until 7 o’clock. The home team ran out winners of a much enjoyed game by seven wickets.

 (Illustration: King George V & Winston Churchill at Blandford Station)


Popular posts from this blog

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Murder at Gussage St Michael

Gussage St Michael is a quiet North Dorset village with a population of few more than a couple of hundred. Yet for several months in 1913, it made headlines across the world as far away as Australia and New Zealand. William Walter Burton, a rabbit catcher, was found guilty of murdering his lover, 24 year-old Winifred Mitchell and had buried her in a lonely wood. Winifred Mary Mitchell was 5ft 5 ins tall, dark haired and was employed as a cook. She was known as ‘ Winnie ’ and ‘cookie’ . Winnie wore false teeth that had been given to her by a former employer. On the 9 th August 1913, South Australia’s Adelaide Advertiser reported. ‘ In the annals of crime, there have been few murders so carefully planned and so ingeniously carried out and it will be remembered that the judge in passing sentence of death intimated that Burton was beyond human forgiveness.’ William Burton walked alone to the scaffold and was hanged at Dorchester Prison on the morning of Tuesday 24 th June 1913. 

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the