Skip to main content

Farquarson's Doggie Tale!

Henry Richard Farquarson was the outspoken and at times controversial Member of Parliament for West Dorset from 1885 until 1895. He was passionate about giant Newfoundland dogs and he lived at Eastbury House, Tarrant Gunville and was a major landowner. Farquarson had built up, over twenty five years, a pack of one hundred & twenty five giant Newfoundland dogs.  They were his pride and joy and among them was a Crufts prize winner. His dogs had been brought to Dorset from Newfoundland in Canada. 

There had always been strong links between Poole and Newfoundland and the coastal town had become known as the best place to buy this breed of dog. In the early 1800s, Newfoundland dogs were often used to pull carts and were a common sight in the streets of Poole. Fear of rabies led to this practice being banned. Farquarson would regularly travel to Poole to collect his acquisitions. The Newfoundland is a huge animal and there is a story that one saved the life of Napoleon Bonaparte by preventing him from drowning. During his escape from Elba rough seas knocked the French emperor overboard and a Newfoundland dog kept him afloat until he could be rescued. How different would history have been if the Newfoundland had failed to do this? The breed is particularly known for its size, muscular strength and swimming abilities.

Henry’s massive dogs were exercised daily by two kennel lads. Keeping the two groups apart, one lad took seventy five dogs one way while the other took fifty bitches in another direction. Tragically, one day there was confusion about the routes and the two packs met up on Chettle Common. Normally, the Newfoundland is a large placid dog but on this occasion the males were unable to overcome their natural passion and aggressively began to compete for the females. A terrible, vicious and bloody dog fight followed and forty five animals were either killed or had to be put down. The young diminutive kennel lads had been unable to halt the battle of the massive warring canines. What happened to the unfortunate kennel lads is not recorded, although it is known that Henry Richard Farquarson was not reputed to be a man of an even temperament.

Farquarson’s outspokenness is evidenced by a legal case following the 1892 West Dorset election when he stood as the Conservative candidate. Probably concerned he might not be re-elected, he began a dirty tricks campaign against his Liberal opponent, Charles Gatty. He falsely suggested that his opponent had been expelled from Charterhouse School at the age of 13 for immorality. Following a legal case which he lost, Farquarson was required to pay Gatty £5,000 in damages although this sum was reduced upon appeal.

It is also said that Henry Richard Farquarson knew the identity of the mass murderer known as Jack the Ripper… he suggested that this murderous villain came from Wimborne Minster. However, that is another tale! Henry Richard Farquarson died in 1895 when returning to England by sea after visiting his estates in Ceylon, now Sri Lanka.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the