Skip to main content

Blandford's Maze

In France, the Palace of Versailles near Paris had a maze, Hampton Court in London had a maze and at one time so did Pimperne. It could be found where Blandford Cemetery is today, an area that was once part of Pimperne.

In Mazes and Labrynths, William Henry Mathews (1922) wrote:

‘At Pimperne, not far from Blandford, there was formerly a maze of unique design (Fig.63). John Aubrey writing in 1686 says it was “much used by the young people in holydays and by ye school-boies.” The maze was destroyed by the plough in 1730.’

Pimperne’s Maze was also known as a ‘Troy-Town’ or ‘miz-maze’. In popular legend, the walls of Troy were constructed in such a confusing manner that an enemy who entered would be unable to find his way out. While an old West Country expression, ‘I was in a miz-maze’ meant to be in a state of confusion. ‘Masen’ was an old English word and meant to puzzle. The village maze had small earth ridges about one metre high. It covered about an acre of ground with intricate walks around an open space at the centre. It was so arranged, if they were not careful, individuals would soon lose their way out.

Pimperne Maze had no junctions or crossings and appeared more like a long rope neatly arranged to fill an area. Shakespeare also wrote about mazes in the Tempest and in Mid Summer Night’s Dream.

The author, John Hutchins wrote:

‘There were many mazes in England before the Civil Wars, and the young people used on festivals to dance, or as the term was, to tread them.’

Philosopher and writer, John Aubrey in the 17 century wrote:

Sometimes on holy days or play days we boys go to tread the maze at Pimperne which is near Blandford.’

Origins of the Pimperne Maze are not known though one theory has it that it was built as a game for young Romans. Another theory is that monks were rumoured to crawl on hands and knees as a form of penance. Leigh, near Yeovil, also had a maze which it is said is associated with witchcraft. William Barnes wrote of the annual repair of mazes by young men and clearly felt it was for games and ‘not for any heathenish or other ceremony of elders.’ Mazes, if not regularly renewed could soon become obliterated. Appropriately, Troy Town, near Dorchester, at one time also had a maze.’

Folklore reckons that a maiden would stand in the middle of a maze and a would-be suitor would run its length. Should he do this without putting a foot wrong, he would be permitted to dance with her. In another variation, if he wished to keep the maiden, he would have to carry her out of the maze!

Sadly, a local farmer ploughed up Pimperne’s Maze in 1730 to be somewhat later turned into a burial ground.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the