Skip to main content

Pimperne Churchyard’s Ghostly Severed Hand.

Pimperne Churchyard is said to be haunted by the severed hand of a soldier called Blandford. Despite his surname, trumpet-sergeant Blandford came from the village of Pimperne. So, when in 1780 he was posted to Blandford, soldier Blandford was delighted to renew the acquaintance of his old chums. A popular character in the village, he was well known for his dry sense of humour. Like his Pimperne mates, Blandford had a lucrative pastime and that was poaching.

A local tenant farmer wrote at the time to his landlord:

Poaching has got to such a thing in our parish, that almost every boy at the age of 14 years practises it, which I fear will lead to further mischief.’

Most popular location for poaching deer was Cranborne Chase, particularly around the village of Sixpenny Handley. So, trumpet-sergeant Blandford soon organised a group of Pimperne poachers to head north in the direction of the Chase. Sadly, for the villagers, there had been loose talk and a group of local gamekeepers had been forewarned of this illegal excursion.

On the night of 16 December 1780, five gamekeepers lay in wait on Chettle Common for the approaching Pimperne poachers. The deer hunters, wearing straw hats, were all armed with swingels. These were robust agricultural tools, the striking parts of which were made of iron. The two opposing groups clashed on Chettle Common and a bloody battle royal ensued.

Blandford struck the first blow which broke the kneecap of a gamekeeper who was described as the ‘stoutest man on the Chase.’ As a result, this gamekeeper was permanently disabled for life. Another keeper having suffered three broken ribs from a blow, sadly died some time later. Unfortunately for the poachers, it was not an equal contest as the keepers were also armed with cutlasses. One of the trumpet-sergeant’s hands was summarily severed just above the wrist and it fell to the ground. The other poachers were also dreadfully cut and wounded which obliged them to surrender. Blandford was carried to a nearby hunting lodge with his arm tightly bandaged to reduce the bleeding. As soon as he was well enough, he was removed with his companions to Dorchester Jail.

The offending deer hunters were tried, convicted and sentenced to seven years’ transportation. However, the judge allegedly, in view of their medical suffering, commuted the sentence to confinement for an indefinite period. The trial had been a popular entertainment with the Dorchester crowd whose strong sympathies were with the accused. The judge’s clemency was unusual for the times. The decision may have been influenced by the fears of civil disorder.

So what happened to Pimperne’s popular trumpet-sergeant of dragoons? Bizarrely, and perhaps reflecting his popularity and his dry sense of humour, the severed hand was reportedly buried in Pimperne Churchyard with full military honours. Ironically and upon release from Dorchester Jail, Blandford set himself up as a London meat trader. Sometime later he was spotted and approached near the Strand by a Cranborne Chase landowning clergyman. Cheekily, Blandford offered to buy game from him adding that he had enjoyed many of his fine hares and peasants in the past!

In the late 1700s, it was reckoned to be unlucky to bury a body incomplete. This may have been the reason for a story of Blandford’s ghostlike severed hand being occasionally seen in Pimperne Churchyard. Allegedly, it was desperately searching for the rest of the trumpet-sergeant’s body!

The site of the bloody battle became known as Bloody Shard Gate. 

(Illustration: Pimperne Church)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha