Skip to main content

When Blandford Camp went on strike!


While it may not be unusual for members of the Rail & Maritime Trade Union to take industrial action, it is much more unusual for members of a British military base to do so. Yet, that is what happened in Blandford Camp at the end of World War I.

Today, the military base is associated with the army yet in early 1919 it was a large but only recently opened Royal Air Force (RAF) establishment. Recruits to the RAF were received there for initial training and the RAF Records, Equipment and Personnel Depot had been relocated to Blandford Camp the previous year. Having only been opened as an RAF base in 1918, Blandford Camp was not a happy place. There were accommodation problems due to construction delays caused by a shortage of building workers. The War Cabinet had flatly turned down an Air Ministry plea to improve construction worker pay rates to aid recruitment. Such delays resulted in widespread overcrowding in tents particularly unsuited to bad weather. 

Blandford’s RAF Camp gained a reputation as a ‘Washout’s Camp’ as it was reckoned that some individuals deliberately failed their training to try to get a soft posting. To prevent this, a bullying culture developed. Also, many young and apparently fit recruits died as a result of a pandemic known as ‘Spanish Flu.’ It was suggested that sick men had to lie on dirty straw mats in unsuitable and unhealthy accommodation and there were insufficient doctors and nurses. Some flu sufferers became depressed and there were several suicides in a small wood which became known as ‘Suicides Wood.

Matters came to a head in January 1919 when a thousand RAF servicemen left their work at Blandford Camp and refused to return until their grievances had been settled. These include:  

Slowness in demobilising service personnel after the end of World War I preventing a return to civilian life.
Claim for better working and living conditions.
Victimisation of a flight sergeant sent to Ireland.
Fairer treatment of injured service personnel.
Transfer of the Records Unit to a less isolated location.  

They went to see the Commanding Officer, Brigadier-General Willock who was unresponsive to their demands. So the men refused to return to work and the following Monday marched en masse into Blandford and asked for a meeting with the Mayor, Alderman J Lampard. He met them and agreed to pass on their representations to the Air Ministry. The servicemen returned to work the next day after it was reported concessions had been made.

With questions also being raised in the House of Commons on waste, bullying and inefficiencies in Blandford’s RAF Camp, it is perhaps no surprise that the base was soon closed.

(Illustration: Brigadier-General F.G. Willock D.S.O. Commanding RAF Blandford - Blandford RAF Journal 1919)


  1. This event was part of a wave of strikes and mutinies by soldiers, sailors and airmen in January 1919, involving up to 200,000 personnel. The main demands were immediate demobilisation, no more drilling/soldiering and refusals to fight in the Russian campaign against the revolutionaries.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha