Skip to main content

'Diamond Pitt' & the Regent Diamond

 

Nicknamed ‘Diamond Pitt’, Thomas Pitt was a clergyman’s son who was born in Blandford St Mary in 1653. During his lifetime, he bought and sold a diamond considered by many to be the most pure and beautiful ever discovered. In 2018, it was valued at £14,000,000. Today, it is on display in the Louvre Museum in Paris. It is known as both the ‘Pitt Diamond’ and also the ‘Regent Diamond’.

The diamond was found by a slave in southern India and he hid it in a large wound in his leg. An English sea captain found out about the diamond and lured the slave onto his vessel. He threw the slave overboard and stole the gem which he sold to a diamond merchant. The seaman later committed suicide. Thomas Pitt, who was the Governor of Madras and a testy character, bought the diamond for £20,400. His son, Robert brought the jewel back to England hidden in the heel of his shoe. The jewel was cut, a process which took two years and cost £5,000. The cut-off fragments fetched around £4,000. By then, Thomas was riddled with gout, constantly quarrelled with his wife and had declared war on the rest of his family remarking ‘hellish confusion that is my family.’ Back in England, he was so fearful he would be robbed of the diamond he never told anyone in advance where he was going and never stayed in the same house more than a single night. It was rumoured that Thomas had stolen the diamond which he strongly refuted by publishing a detailed account of his dealings with the merchant from whom he had said he had bought the diamond.

Initially, Thomas Pitt had some difficulty in finding a buyer. Both the King and the Prince of Wales looked at it but did not buy. Eventually, in 1717, he sold the jewel to Philippe, Duc de l’Orleans, Regent of France for the immense sum at the time of £135,000. Thomas, already a rich man from his trading in India, bought both land and properties with his profits.

The diamond was set in a crown for the coronation of Louis XV and later Marie-Antoinette wore the diamond on a hat. Stolen during the French Revolution, the diamond was later recovered. Napoleon Bonaparte had it placed as a centre piece on his sword. Such was its value that Napoleon raised funds for his campaigns by pledging the diamond to the Dutch.

During World War II, to prevent it being looted by the German Army, the diamond was hidden away in the French countryside.

After what happened to the slave, the sea captain, Marie Antoinette and Napoleon Bonaparte some say that ownership of the ‘Pitt Diamond’ brings the owner bad luck. That, of course, was not Thomas Pitt’s experience. He died in 1726 and two members of the Pitt family later became prime ministers. Thomas Pitt was buried in Blandford St Mary.

(Illustrations: Thomas Pitt and the 'Pitt Diamond'.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the