Skip to main content

Chettle's John West

John West is an almost completely forgotten cleric who was the Rector of Chettle from 1828 to 1845. In fact, he is far better known in Canada for his pioneering missionary work than he is remembered in his home country. In the Canadian Calendar of Holy Persons, 31 December each year is John West Commemoration Day.

Yet in the 1830s, he helped many poverty trapped families from the Blandford villages secure a far better life in New South Wales, Australia. Families helped included agricultural labourer, George Butt and his wife, Charlotte and their six children from Winterborne Stickland. Emigrating with them were his brother, Stephen and his wife, Martha from the same village. There were also Samuel and Ann Arnold from Child Okeford and their baby daughter, Sarah Ann. Samuel was a wheelwright by trade and became a successful businessman. His inn which he founded, the Plough & Harrow just outside Sydney is still open for business today.

John West had worked with the Australian landowning Macarthur family to identify suitable North Dorset young families to emigrate. For the times, and known as the Bounty Immigrant Scheme, the terms were both generous and progressive. In return for working for the Macarthurs for a fixed period, there was a free passage, a wage, accommodation and the gift of livestock. The first North Dorset families arrived in Sydney in April 1837. In total, over five years, the Reverend John West helped over 230 people leave in search of a better life.

In Chettle Church, there is a tablet dedicated to the Reverend John West and his wife, Harriett. While on a far grander scale in St John’s Cathedral, Winnepeg, which he founded, there is the John West Hall. Born in 1778 in Farnham, Surrey John West did not have a rugged appearance yet in one frozen Canadian journey he walked 240 miles. Another church in Manitoba has the John West Bell.

John West had been appointed chaplain to the Hudson Bay Company in 1820 where he set up a school for the children of settlers, Indians and those of mixed race. However, he became unpopular with his employer as he was critical of both the liquor and fur trades which were staple businesses for the company. He also shamed some of his congregation into marrying their Native American partners. Much respected by the local Native Americans, he was given by them a small collection of local artefacts. The extremely rare early items are now on display in a Manitoba museum. These were returned to Canada by a descendant of the Chettle clergyman.

John West returned to England in 1824 when he had his contract cancelled as he had upset too many people. He was also responsible for setting up a school for gypsy children in Farnham. Opening in 1847 after his death, it remained in existence for eight years. 

John West died in Chettle on 21 December 1845 having survived his wife, Harriett.

(Illustration: John West)

 

 

 



Comments

  1. Wonderful history, really enjoyed reading it , thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Blandford Races

It might not have been Ascot, Epsom or Aintree but Blandford Races was once quite an important event in the county’s social calendar. Blandford Races date back to 1603 and were held on the downs which today would be part of Blandford Camp. Meetings continued until the middle of the 19 th  century with few breaks in between. The longest interruption was when Oliver Cromwell was Head of State and Government. As Lord Protector he was not amused by such events. Apart from horse racing, there were other entertainments. These included wrestling matches, cock fighting and dancing. Much feasting took place which was highly lucrative for the town. In 1780, cudgel playing was advertised and resulted in a Shaftebury man losing his left eye. This was then replaced by a sword and dagger contest between the gentlemen of Dorset and Somerset. One of the race patrons was Lord Palmerston who was later to be Prime Minister. In 1824, he had had a winner, Luzborough in the Dorsetshire Gold Cup. Normally he