Skip to main content

Alan Cobham's Flying Circus

When Alan Cobham brought his Circus to town, it was not the usual spectacle of clowns, circus creatures and contortionists. His Circus was a group of dare-devil pilots & parachutists who arrived with around ten propeller driven aircraft. The Circus set up camp at the grandly titled Blandford Aerodrome, located just north of the town’s cemetery. As the Western Gazette reported in July 1934:

‘Blandford was entertained to some thrilling flying when Sir Alan Cobham’s Air Display visited the town for the first time.’

Among the attractions were 25 year-old ‘glamorous glider girl’, Joan Meakin and ‘Britain’s finest aerobatic pilot’, Geoffrey Tyson. She was the first female  pilot to cross the English Channel in a glider which she reckoned was ‘safer than playing hockey.’ Joan was towed by an aircraft to 1,500 ft. and released and would then ‘loop the loop’ in her glider. She was to marry the Circus Assistant General Manager, Ronald Price who also had the precarious part-time role of in-flight aircraft wing-walker. Flight Lieutenant Geoffrey Tyson had celebrated Bleriot’s first flight across the English Channel by spectacularly making the same flight upside down! Tyson would loop through a hoop erected on the field and pick up a handkerchief with a wire on his wing tip. He would also demonstrate a deadly aim with bombs containing flour being dropped on a target. As the Flying Circus travelled around Britain, some visits were not without incident. A stunt pilot got his legs tangled up with the aircraft controls crashed and died. While a Cobham Circus parachutist was killed when his parachute failed to open. Neither incident occurred at Blandford. With afternoon and evening displays at Blandford Aerodrome, a large attendance was attracted. Entry cost one shilling & three pence (6p) and free flights were offered as competition prizes. Free flights were offered to local dignitaries while a flight could also be purchased for four shillings (20p).

With his slogan, ‘Make the Skyways, Britain’s Highway’, Alan Cobham’s aim was to promote aviation to the British public. He toured the country with his Flying Circus and inspired many a young boy and girl to join the Royal Air Force upon the outbreak of war in 1939. In three years of its existence, Alan Cobham Flying Circus carried 750,000 in joy rides and attracted around three million spectators. Sir Alan Cobham KBE AFC was also a former World War One Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force pilot and long distance flying pioneer. He was later to pioneer the development of in-flight aircraft refuelling through his company, Flight Refuelling. Alan Cobham died in Bournemouth in October 1973.

(Illustration: Alan Cobham )




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Chimney Sweep Tragedy

Crown Hotel, Blandford is reckoned to be one of Dorset’s oldest hostelries. Yet its most tragic day, during a long history, must surely be when a young chimney sweep lost his life. The chimney sweep, who was just a child, suffocated and was burnt to death in a Crown Hotel chimney which had been alight a little while before. ‘His cries were dreadful and no-one could give assistance. Part of the chimney was taken down before he was got out.’ (Salisbury & Winchester Gazette 27th March 1780) The lad had gone up one chimney and attempting to go down another had become stuck. At the time children were used to climb up chimneys to clean out soot deposits. With hands and knees, they would shimmy up narrow dark flue spaces packed thick with soot and debris. After the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford it was realised that it was important to sweep chimneys regularly while many rebuilt houses had narrower ones. Smaller chimneys and complicated flues were a potential death trap for children. The sw

Bravest Village Controversy

A Dorset village was once recognised as the bravest in England. That village was Shillingstone in North Dorset. After the outbreak of World War I, the newspaper the Weekly Dispatch inaugurated a competition for the village that sent, in the first six months of the war, the highest percentage of its population into the British Services. According to local newspaper, the Western Gazette Shillingstone sent 90 men out of a total population of 565. (Western Gazette Friday 26 th September 1919) Across the country,  365 other villages sent in their returns. However, the competition would not prove to be short of controversy. The award was made to Knowlton in Kent which with 39 inhabitants and six houses had sent 11 men. However, the Rector of Shillingstone, Dr Cooke protested that Knowlton was too small to be a village and in fact was a hamlet. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, Sir Frederick Smith who held that the original decision should stand as no minimum population ha