Skip to main content

Blandford Throwback Facts II

In 1669, to meet a shortage of small change, Blandford issued its own farthing coinage.

To celebrate the Duke of Tuscany, Cosmo III passing through the town, the church bells were rung.

In 1673, Blandford called in all tokens to the value of a farthing amounting to two pounds and eighteen shillings (£2.90p).

In 1674, thirty four pounds and ten pence (£34.4p) was spent laying out a bowling green.

In 1680, Edward Wake died at Charlton Marshall. He ‘suffered greatly’ in the service of the King. He was shot in the head by the Governor of Wareham, poisoned in another garrison, imprisoned about twenty times and was also sentenced to death two or three times.

In 1688, hundreds of pounds changed hands when members of the local gentry met up regularly for Saturday lunch and gambling sessions in a Blandford Inn.

In 1690, Thomas Cox, the son of a Blandford gentleman, after a long history of crime was executed at Tyburn in London. On his way to the gallows he kicked both the hangman and the parson out of his cart.

In 1691, Jack Withrington, another notorious Blandford highwayman, was hung at Tyburn. It is said his four elder brothers also ended their lives at the scaffold.

In 1698, all houses with more than ten windows had to pay a window tax.

(Illustration: Blandford in the 1600s)

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Blandford Races

It might not have been Ascot, Epsom or Aintree but Blandford Races was once quite an important event in the county’s social calendar. Blandford Races date back to 1603 and were held on the downs which today would be part of Blandford Camp. Meetings continued until the middle of the 19 th  century with few breaks in between. The longest interruption was when Oliver Cromwell was Head of State and Government. As Lord Protector he was not amused by such events. Apart from horse racing, there were other entertainments. These included wrestling matches, cock fighting and dancing. Much feasting took place which was highly lucrative for the town. In 1780, cudgel playing was advertised and resulted in a Shaftebury man losing his left eye. This was then replaced by a sword and dagger contest between the gentlemen of Dorset and Somerset. One of the race patrons was Lord Palmerston who was later to be Prime Minister. In 1824, he had had a winner, Luzborough in the Dorsetshire Gold Cup. Normally he