Skip to main content

HMS Blandford

In the history of the British Navy, it appears there were three HMS Blandfords. The first HMS Blandford, launched at Woolwich in 1711, was lost at sea with all hands. The second, launched in 1720 was a trend setter but also had a dark secret. She was involved in the slave trade. While the third HMS Blandford (1741), featured in frequent skirmishes with the French but more recently had a replica built which featured in a television series.

HMS Blandford (1711) served the Royal Navy in the Baltic, North Sea and in the Mediterranean. Sadly, she was lost with all hands including her captain, Erasmus Phillips during a fierce storm in the Bay of Biscay in March 1719.

HMS Blandford (1720) was one of the first of a class of 22 vessels to be built to a common standard. This resulted in cost savings in both the building and maintenance of the vessels. It also provided greater certainty as to how they performed at sea. Her first captain was William Martin who eventually became an admiral. After more than 20 years service in the Royal Navy, Blandford (1720) was put up for sale. New owner, Bristol based James Pearce refitted the vessel and entered her into the transatlantic slave trade. During its refit, two ventilators were added to the lower deck to increase the airflow for some 400 to 500 slaves who would be crammed into the lower decks. Under Captain John Brackenridge, HMS Blandford would have taken part in a triangular trade. English goods would be traded for slaves in West Africa who would be taken across the Atlantic and then traded for local goods to take back in England. Of the 468 slaves forced aboard during Blandford’s first and only known slavery voyage only around 400 survived to be landed ashore in Kingston, Jamaica. Upon Blandford’s return to England in June 1745, she was put up for sale. The vessel was sold in Lloyd’s Coffee House in Lombardy Street, in the City of London by broker, Samuel Brooks. Who was the purchaser in July 1745 and how her future unfolded is not known. However, it is known the town of Blandford Massachusetts in the USA is named after her.

HMS Blandford (1741) was launched in October 1741 and her first master was Captain Robert Young.  The vessel had a crew of 140 officers and crew and was a 20 gun frigate. She served in home, Caribbean and American waters for 20 years. Her Royal Navy service was eventful and in the 1740s she captured three French vessels. While a 1745 manuscript reported on a less fortunate experience for the vessel.

‘HMS Blandford has had the misfortune to fall in with a squadron of seven French sails between Gibraltar and Lisbon and was sent to Brest. The captain (Edward Dodd)) was threatened with being hanged if he did not discover to the Commodore whether there was an English squadron at sea. This he bravely refused to comply with.’ HMS Blandford was later released from her French captivity.

Penhallow Cuming was made her captain in March 1857 and was a thoroughly bad officer. Two years later, he was dismissed from the Royal Navy for cruelty. He would flog seamen who did not immediately report from all quarters when ‘all hands on deck’ was called. Vessels such as the Blandford (1741) were the workhorses of the British fleet performing escort duties and also providing support for amphibious landings. After Royal Navy service, HMS Blandford was paid off in Plymouth in 1763 and sold for ££305.

The ship’s carpenter and boatswain found alternative work in Plymouth dockyard. In 1996 a replica vessel was built in Turkey greatly inspired by HMS Blandford. She was constructed for the television series about the British naval officer, Horatio Hornblower. Then, a French company bought her and renamed the vessel Étoile du Roi. So after HMS Blandford (1741)’s many skirmishes with the French it is ironic that the modern day replica is now in French hands!

(Image: Étoile du Roi Croisières.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarrant Rushton's Nuclear Secret

Tarrant Rushton was a large RAF base used for glider operations during World War II. It was then taken over by Flight Refuelling for the conversion of aircraft for the development of aircraft in-flight refuelling. However, between 1958 & 1965, the Tarrant Rushton airfield had a much more secretive and less publicised role. This was in support of the nation’s nuclear bomber deterrent, as Tarrant Rushton airfield became a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) dispersal unit.   During 1958, contractors Costain reinforced the main runway and carried out other work to ensure the giant bomber aircraft could be accommodated. At times just a few miles from Blandford, there would have been up to four RAF Vickers Valiant bombers at Tarrant Rushton ready to become airborne in minutes charged with nuclear weapons. The bombers were from 148 Squadron at RAF Marham in Norfolk. As there was no suitable accommodation at the airfield, an old US Air Force Hospital building at Martin was used. At the time, the

Shapwick Sea Monster

On a Tuesday in October 1706, a travelling Poole fishmonger was wheeling his cart on the outskirts of the village of Shapwick. Unknown to him, a large crab fell from his barrow. This was to cause panic and alarm among the Shapwick villagers. Living inland, and perhaps in the 18 th century not having travelled beyond Blandford, the Shapwick villagers had never before seen a crab. Trudging home and exhausted by his day’s labour, a Shapwick farm worker discovered this crawling creature by stepping on it. So strange was its appearance, he believed it was the devil himself. Running on to the village, he told everyone excitingly of his horrid find. Fearing it was the work of the devil, the villagers armed themselves with pitchforks, sticks and stones. Knowing not what to do, they decided to consult the shepherd Rowe considered by many to be the local wise man. Sadly, the aging oracle was now past his prime and for the last six years had been confined to his bed. The old man was as infirm as

Blandford Races

It might not have been Ascot, Epsom or Aintree but Blandford Races was once quite an important event in the county’s social calendar. Blandford Races date back to 1603 and were held on the downs which today would be part of Blandford Camp. Meetings continued until the middle of the 19 th  century with few breaks in between. The longest interruption was when Oliver Cromwell was Head of State and Government. As Lord Protector he was not amused by such events. Apart from horse racing, there were other entertainments. These included wrestling matches, cock fighting and dancing. Much feasting took place which was highly lucrative for the town. In 1780, cudgel playing was advertised and resulted in a Shaftebury man losing his left eye. This was then replaced by a sword and dagger contest between the gentlemen of Dorset and Somerset. One of the race patrons was Lord Palmerston who was later to be Prime Minister. In 1824, he had had a winner, Luzborough in the Dorsetshire Gold Cup. Normally he